Friday, June 29, 2012

Seattle RNR Part 2

OK let's talk running. It seems like Rock N Roll never falls at a time when I am 100% healthy. Last year I was having IT and knee issues and this year I have been dealing with a neuroma and PF. The good thing is I think my PF seems to be in check now. I have been sleeping with my feet hanging off the edge of the bed for the last 4 months and wearing orthotics and it has made a huge difference.
This year was a bit different because I was running representing the Bramble Berry Athletic Club.

Bramble Berry is an amazing soap making company with a great blog called Soap Queen. There is always something fun and creative going on...check it out. So this year Bramble Berry formed a team of women from all over the country. How did I get in on this you ask?
Well a friend of mine who follows Soap Queen saw that Bramble Berry was wanting to support women being active as well donating to charitable causes.
So I applied as I knew right where I wanted any funds to go and that Seattle Rock N Roll would be memorable race to make it happen. So Bramble Berry spoiled me with a few fragrant treats and sent me my official race shirt. They then donated $$$$ to Ulman Cancer Fund as Ulman does amazing work supporting young adults facing cancer.

I have been blessed the last four years to have my dear (super hip, beautiful, funny, stylish, fitness instructor queen) friend Katie there to cheer me on. She is willing to get up at 4:45 to taxi me to the start line and then "wait".
She always makes me a sign that makes me laugh!!

and then I pose with my space blanket and give THANKS that those 13.1 miles are behind me. Last year I ran 1:57:13 so I was hoping to beat that...but as the course went on I was just hoping to stay in low 2's. I was thrilled to finish with almost the exact same time (despite what I think was a tougher course). 1:57:37 (I think..too lazy to go check my Garmin right now)

Refueling with my chocolate milk! My after!
My "training" fell during grad summer school and working part time. So training typically consisted of one 2 to 5 mile run during the week and then if I was lucky one long run on the weekend ranging from 10 to 12 miles. I love Seattle RNR but I was not a huge fan of the new course. The hills were a bit much. It was beautiful as usual but two hills back to back at one point seemed to be a bit much. Also finishing the .1 with a hill seemed a little cruel as well. I did walk a few times between miles 10-12 but I was ok with that. I went out really fast and it came back to bite me once I hit the hills. However I am sure if I had trained better I would have enjoyed it a bit more.

Had to have the space needle shot! Even though I have no memory of ever seeing it as I ran. I was just shuffling one foot in front of the other. Thankful that #4 is in the books and thankful that Bramble Berry made it possible. Go #BBAC!!

9 comments:

On the Right Track said...

Awesome Job...isn't it great to have a friend to motivate and support you along the way?

Looks like you had a blast...and you're pretty hip, fit and beatiful yourself girl ;)

Jill said...

That is funny how close your time was! Great job! 7-days...funny how I can be so excited and scared at the same time!

track coach and adorable wife said...

Glad you finished so well despite the new course. Sorry I never really saw you! Good luck on your upcoming tri!

Jill - Striving to Stay the Course said...

Girl, you look great! Congrats on your half; it sounds challenging with all of those hills.
Hoping to meet you in person and cheer you and Marnee on, if I can figure out a way to maneuver Portland next weekend!

Kris said...

Great job Harmony!! I heard that course was super hard, so excellent race!! You and your friend are so pretty!! How awesome is she for supporting you while you are there :) I think a sub 1:50 will be easy for you sister ;)

Yo Momma Runs said...

The same time with more hills is great! That's really cool that Bramble donates to your chosen charity. Now that's a great sponsor!

Tasha Malcolm said...

I am glad that you are getting better and that your PF is finally in check.
It looks like you had just as much fun Seattle as me. Next year I am running it!

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne-Marie said...

You look great and you did fabulous, Harmony! I was so glad we were able to sponsor you. Go #BBAC athletes!